Procedures for the Purchase of Commodities, Goods, and Equipment:
The purchasing agent, Eric Stark, approves all purchase orders. You may not place an order or secure goods or services until you have an approved purchase order. All staff is directed to use Educational Data Services, BOCES bids, and State or County contracts. The OGS (Office of Government Services) lists the State Contracts that are available, and their terms and conditions on their website: nyspro.ogs.ny.gov; we have also added links on the business office web page of the most commonly used vendors. If you would like to suggest a vendor to add to that list please contact Kim Maston.
By utilizing the bid process you are assuring that you will be receiving the best possible price. If the item is not on an approved bid, you must follow the procedures outlined below. If you need assistance with finding a vendor, finding an item or finding a service provider please contact Kim Maston via e-mail or at ext. 1013. We are happy to help any way we can.
- All requests for the addition of a vendor must be in writing. Please use the New Vendor Addition Form.
- Clearly list the vendor’s name, address, and phone/fax number.
- All new vendors must complete and return a W9 before any payment is released. The District is required by law to have a federal ID number on file for the vendor.
- Commonly Used Vendors
Please keep the following in mind as you prepare your requisitions for approval:
- Requisition Descriptions: When entering requisitions, remember to be specific in the description area. If applicable list the Bid Source (i.e. County, Boces, etc.), Contract Number or Proposal Number (Print Bid # 23-24-04 BOE approved 06/07/2023). Attach quote sheet or state contract documents. All documents will be maintained in the Vendor File for review by the Purchasing Agent and the Claims Auditor.
- If applicable please remember to enter all of your memberships, dues and subscriptions as of July 1, 2023 for the 2023-2024 school year (Please do not wait for the membership application or subscription and/or dues invoice to arrive. It is okay to estimate your fees)
- Quote Sheet: If the requisition will be between $5,000 and $9,999, verbal quotes must be obtained and documented on the attached Quote Sheet. For items between $10,000 and $19,999 formal written quotes from at least three (3) separate vendors are required and must be submitted before the requisition can be approved.
- Purchase Order Receiving Copy: The purchase order receiving copy is signed when you have received goods or services from the vendor. If there is a partial payment due because of a service contract or a partial delivery of goods please check off “partial payment” on the receiving copy, indicate the amount to be paid and attach all backup documentation you have as proof of receipt along with the original invoice. Orders may not be prepaid. Please DO NOT sign the receiving copy unless you have received the goods or services.
- Travel Reimbursement: A purchase order must be in place prior to travel. This is a good time to enter blanket purchase orders for those you know will be traveling or attending conferences throughout the 2023-2024 academic year.
- Sales Tax: The school district is tax exempt and will not reimburse sales tax.
- Once the Purchasing Agent has approved the requisition/pending purchase order, the request will be converted to a Purchase Order.
- After the Purchase Order is approved, the order will be placed.
- No orders or engagement of services are to be placed until the purchase order has been issued.
- The Business Office will mail the Purchase Order to the vendor.
- If you do not want the Purchase Order mailed, please note your instructions in the description box. Provide as much detail as possible to avoid any confusion with the order.
- Your signature on the Purchase Order Receiving Copy is a release of payment. The Business Office cannot release payment without the signed receiving copy and ORIGINAL invoice. Please send all packing slips to the Business Office, reference the Purchase Order, so it may be attached to the vendor file.
- We do realize that, at times, some of the encumbrances are estimates and/or there may be changes due to shipping and handling. Any amount greater than $25, must have an approved Increase/Liquidate Purchase Order Form before work is approved or order is placed.
Purchasing Guidelines, Restrictions and Procedures:
$1 - $4,999 Requisitions/pending purchase orders are approved at the discretion of the Purchasing Agent.
$ 5,000 - $9,999 Per item/cummulative Verbal quotes from at least three (3) separate vendors (if available) are required. Vendor Summary Quote Sheet must be submitted to the Business Office to be attached to the file copy of the purchase order.
$ 10,000 - $19,999 Per item/cummulative Formal written quotes from at least three (3) separate vendors (if available) are required. Written quotes must be submitted with the Quote Sheet to the Business Office to be attached to the file copy of the purchase order.
$20,000 and up Per item/cummulative Mandatory Sealed bids in conformance with Municipal Law, Section 103
Please visit the Board of Education page of our website for a complete list of financial management policies.